Friday, February 10, 2012

Compressed Fractures Aided with Rehab

Picture taken: Jan. 27, 2012 - daily massage
Due to the results of my recent MRI test, Dec. 6, 2011 and experiencing excruciating pain along with back muscle spasms, I was led to Foothills Sports Medicine Physical Therapy in Gilbert, Arizona, from the urging of my daughter and her friend, Lucy, both Physical Therapy students at A.T. Stills University in Arizona.
Allen Gruver, PT, DPT, ATC, PRC, CSCS
On my arrival at Foothills, Dec. 9, 2011, Allen Gruver, owner and head physical therapist, evaluated my symptoms and viewed my MRI results, which included 6 compressed fractures (T7, T8, T9, T11, T12, L1) arthritis and multilevel degenerative disc disease .  He proceeded to teach me the proper way of breathing called abdominal or deep breathing, then sent me home for the weekend to practice.
During the following weeks, my Foothills therapy sessions included electrical stimulation of my back, a daily massage using Myofascial Release techniques (see picture above), and a list of beneficial exercises, that included, stretching with bands, using the arm and foot stationary bikes (see picture below), and a multiple of exercises geared  to strengthening my back.

Picture taken: Jan. 27, 2012 - stationary arm bike
On Feb. 7, 2012 I flew home with a renewed stronger back thanks to the skilled therapists at Foothills Sports Medicine Physical Therapy and their advanced rehab methods used (based on the Postural Restoration Institute approach), methods you probably won’t find in most physical therapy centers.
Lucy (massage therapist), Nancy, Noel (therapist assistant)
To note, throughout my whole ordeal with this physically debilitating condition, I continued to use the FIR Pad, ERE, Lumen Photon and as soon as my fractures healed, the use of the Original Sun Ancon Chi Machine, also, a weekly massage, thanks to LucyNancy Wheeler-56

For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.  Romans 8:18

Shared with: the healthy home economist