In Dr. Daniel's book "The Whole Soy Story" you will read of:
- The real reasons why soy is not a health food.
- Shocking personal accounts of real people whose health and lives were put at risk from eating soy products.
8 Reasons to Question Soy:
1. 91% of soy grown in the US is genetically modified (GM).
2. Soy contains natural toxins known as "anti-nutrients". Soy foods contain anti-nutritional factors such as saponins, soyatoxin, phytates, protease inhibitors, oxalates, goitrogens and estrogens. Some of these factors interfere with the enzymes you need to digest protein.
3. Soy contains hemagglutinin which is a clot-promoting substance that causes your red blood cells to clump together. These clumped cells are unable to properly absorb and distribute oxygen to your tissues.
4. Soy contains goitrogens which are substances that block the synthesis of thyroid hormones and interfere with iodine metabolism, which in turns interferes with your thyroid function.
5. Soy contains phytates which will bind to metal ions, preventing the absorption of certain minerals, including calcium, magnesium, iron, and zinc.
6. Soy is loaded with the isoflavones genistein and daidzein. Isoflavones are a type of phytoestrogen, which is a plant compund resembling human estrogen. These compounds mimic and sometimes block the hormone estrogen, and have been found to have adverse effects on various human tissues. Soy phytoestrogens are known to disrupt endocrine function, may cause infertility, and may promote breast cancer in women.
7. Soy has toxic levels of aluminum and manganese. The soybeans are processed by acid washing in aluminum tanks, which can leach high levels of aluminum into the final soy product. Soy formula has up to 80 times higher manganese than is found in human breast milk.
8. Soy infant formula puts your baby's health at risk. Nearly 20% of U.S. infants are now fed soy formula, but the estrogens in soy can irreversiby harm your baby's sexual development and reproductive health. Infants fed soy formula take in an estimated five birth control pills worth of estrogen every day.
Soy foods to avoid:
- Soybean oil
- Soy cheese
- soy ice cream
- soy yogurt
- Soy meat
- Soy protein
- Soy infant formula
If you choose to eat Soy, choose fermented Soy, some examples are:
- Tempeh - a fermented soybean cake with a firm texture and nutty, mushroom-like flavor.
- Miso - a fermented soybean paste with a salty, buttery texture.
- Natto - fermented soybeans with a sticky texture and strong cheese-like flavor.
- Soy Sauce - made by fermenting soybeans, salt and enzymes. Watch out for artificially made soy sauce using a chemical process.